Fertilizers and lawn care chemicals can impact groundwater and drinking water sources. Managing your lawn care routine can prevent them from becoming a threat to our waters.
What can you do to prevent contamination?
- Test your soil and follow recommendations. Do not apply chemicals needlessly – saving you time and money.
- Read all chemical labels – follow instructions and treatment rates.
- Never apply more than 1 lb. of nitrogen per 1,000 sq. ft. of lawn.
- Fill fertilizer and chemicals spreaders away from streets and storm drains, in areas that can be properly cleaned up.
- Apply fertilizer when grass is actively growing.
- Do not apply fertilizer to frozen ground or before inclement weather.