Hugo, MN





 After Hours/Weekends - Who do I call after hours or weekends for non emergency issues?

Washington County Sheriff Department will determine the immediacy of the issue.  They will contact the necessary person(s) to respond during the weekend or after City Hall office hours. Please call 651-439-9381 for non emergencies. 

 Building - Do I need a building permit?

Building permits are required in Hugo if the structure is over 150 square feet.  New construction must comply with all setbacks and size restrictions as outlined in the Hugo City Code, Chapter 320. See Building Permits for more information.

 Burning - How do I get a burning permit?

Burning permits are required for any burning larger than a 3x3 recreational fire and/or snow cover is less then 3inches on the ground. Permits are available at City Hall and the residential fee is $15. See DNR web site for burning bans and restrictions.

 Campers/RV's - Can campers and RV's be parked on the street?

Trailers cannot be parked on any street within the City for more than 72 hours.   See the City Code for additional information on street parking, snow removal and the storage of large recreational vehicles.

 Complaint - How do I file a complaint?

Call 651-762-6300 or send a letter to Chuck Preisler, Code Enforcement Officer, explaining the nature of the complaint.  The City will not act on anonymous complaints so please be sure to provide your name and address. All complaints are confidential.

 Compost Site - Is there a compost site?

The compost site is located on the south side of 170th Street North approximately 1/2 mile west of Highway 61.  The site is open for Hugo residents only from mid April through November on Wednesdays from 4pm to 8pm or dusk and Saturdays from 10am to 5pm.  This is a deposit site for grass clippings, leaves, and soft organic matter only.  No brush, twigs, branches or woody materials accepted. 

 Computers/Furniture - Where can I get rid of an old computer or couch?

Washington County provides a Residential Disposal Guide on their website at

 Credit Cards - Do you take credit cards for any type of payment?

No, we are reviewing credit card options but currently don't offer this.  We do accept cash or check.

 Curfew - What are the City's curfew hours?

The City's curfew hours are regulated and enforced by Washington County.  Call 651-439-9381 or click here for more information.

 Daycare - How do I find daycare in the area?

There are three licensed daycare facilities located in Hugo and several licensed home providers.
  • Oneka Child Care Center
    5525 North 141st Street
    Hugo, MN 55038
    651 407-8800

  • KinderGardens
    Child Development Center
    14665 Mercantile Drive North
    Hugo, MN 55038
    Telephone: (651) 204-5101    

  • Kidzplace
    5448 140th Street North
    Hugo, MN  55038
    Phone:  (651) 429-3555
    Fax:  (651) 429-9921

  • Growing Generations
    Child Development Center
    14689 Victor Hugo Blvd.
    Hugo, MN 55038
    Telephone: (651) 528-7648        

Click here for listing of licensed daycare facilities & home providers. 

 Dog - Who do I contact about a loose or stray dog?

Animal Control through the Washington County Sheriff Department handles stray dogs.  Call 651-653-6404 for additional information or click here .

 Fence - Do I need a permit for a fence?

All fences require a site drawing of placement to be approved by the Building Official at City Hall.  Fences six feet or taller require a permit if allowed in the zoning district.   Click here for the residential fencing guide.  For additional information on fences, see Hugo City Code.

 Fire Hydrant - Where is the closest fire hydrant to my home?

Please contact City Hall at 762-6300 for locations of hydrants.

 Garbage/Recycling - Who handles the trash?

As a resident, you can choose any one of the seven licensed refuse haulers.  If you live in a townhouse, contact your association to determine who is contracted for your area.  Click here for a list of licensed haulers.

 Good Neighbor Days - When is Good Neighbor day?

Good Neighbor Days are typically on the weekend of the first full week in June.  Information will be posted on the Hugo Lions Club's Facebook page.

 Hunt - Where can I hunt?

You can hunt on your property or property you have permission to hunt on.  You must be a minimum of 500 feet from any residence or livestock.  See the Shooting Regulations on the City Code page of this website for additional information.    

 Ice Skate - Where can we ice skate in the area?

Skating is available at  the Hugo Elementary School at 14895 Francesca Ave.  Contact  the White Bear Recreation Department at 651-407-7501 for details on start date and hours of operation. Withrow Elementary has a rink that is run & operated by volunteers. It is located at 10158 122nd St N. Contact the school at 651-351-8800 for start date and hours of operation.   Click here for information on ice arenas near Hugo.

 Library - Where is the closest library?

Hardwood Creek Branch is the closest library. It is located in the Washington County Forest Lake Service Center at 19955 Forest Rd N Forest Lake (west of Highway 61 between Hugo and Forest Lake). See link for further information.

 New Resident - Who do I contact for gas, electric, water, sewer, phone, internet

  • Xcel Energy  - Electric & Gas 1-800-895-4999 
  • Connexus Energy - Electric 763-323-2600
  • Comcast -Cable TV & Phone 651-222-3333
  • CenturyLink - Phone 1-800-244-1111
  • Sewer & Water handled by City Hall 651-762-6309
  • Internet/Broadband

 Recycling - How to/what can be recycled?

Household items are recycled curbside by your regular trash hauler.  Other items are recyclable through various organizations. More information can be found in the Refuse, Recycling, and Compost Site area on this website. 

 Shed - Do I need a permit for a shed?

Sheds 10 x 12 or larger require a permit. A copy of a survey showing placement on all sheds requires approval by the Building Official at City Hall.   Click here for additional information on sheds or visit the Building Department/Permits section of this website for a building permit application.

 Snow Removal - Does the City have a policy?

Removal of snow and ice from streets and public parking lots is the first priority of the Public Works Department following a snowfall accumulation of at least two inches of snow or icy conditions.  Maintenance of selected sidewalks and trail will be done after that.  See Snow and Ice Control Policy for further information.  For parking restrictions, see Winter Parking.

 Snowmobile - Where can I snowmobile and what are the hours?

It is unlawful to operate a motorized recreational vehicle after 11:00 p.m. Sunday-Thursday until 6:30 a.m. the next morning and between 1:00 a.m. - 6:30 a.m. on Saturday and Sundays.  Information on where you can ride within the City can be found in the Recreational Vehicle ordinance located in the City Code section of this website.  Additional information on the trails in the area can be found on the DNR website at or the  Washington County Star Trail Association website at  Contact John Udstuen at 651-653-2006 for information on the Snowmobile Club in Hugo.

 Swimming Pools - What is the general rule on installing a swimming pool?

Swimming pools below & above ground (4 feet & under) require enclosure with fencing.  See Pool and Spa Instillation Criteria under the Building Department/Permits section of this website.

 Tabs/Licensing - Do you handle tabs or license renewal?

No.  The closest location to have tabs or license renewal is Washington County Forest Lake Service Center located at 19955 Forest Road Forest Lake, 651-275-7333 or renew your tabs on line at

 Trees/Branches - Where can I bring dead trees or branches?

Unfortunately, the Hugo compost site does not accept trees or branches. Visit Washington County's website for other options.

 Vote - Where do I go to vote?

Locations are determined by your address. There are three polling places in Hugo. Click here for further information. 

 Water Hardness - What is the hardness of the water for a water softener?

The hardness of the water is 13-14 grains. Read the 2016 Consumer Confidence Report for more information on the City's water.

 Watering Restrictions - What are they?

Property owners within the City using water from the City of Hugo's municipal water system, may only water lawns, trees or other vegetation on an odd-even basis.  Specifically, property addresses which end in an odd number may only water on odd calendar days.  Properties having addresses which end in an even number may only water on even calendar days.  An exemption from the odd-even restriction of up to 30 days is available for new sod, seed, or plantings. You may call the Hugo City Hall at (651) 762-6300 to be added to a 30-day exemption list.

 Weeds - How high can my neighbors weeds grow?

Growth of weeds, grass, brush or other rank vegetation cannot be grater than 10 inches.   See Noxious Weed and Tall Grass ordinance in the City Code page of this web site.

 Winter Parking - When can I park on street?

In order to expedite the prompt and efficient removal of snow from the streets of the city it is unlawful for any person to stop, stand or park any vehicle or trailer or permit the same to stand on any street within the city between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. from November 1 until March 31 of the following year. At all times of the year it is unlawful for any person to stop, stand or park any vehicle or trailer or permit it to stand on any public street within the city between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. after a continuous or intermittent snowfall, during which there has been an accumulation of two inches or more of snow on any street, until the snow has been plowed or removed to the full width of the street. In addition to the foregoing, at all times it shall be unlawful for any person to park any trailer on any street within the city for an excess of 72 consecutive hours.  See the City Code for additional information on street parking, snow removal and the storage of large recreational vehicles.