Hugo, MN

Facebook
 

A Brief History of Hugo's One Room Schoolhouse

Hopkins Schoolhouse, 2004
Hopkins Schoolhouse, 2004

The Hopkins Schoolhouse, located off of 170th St N. and Highway 61, was constructed in 1928 and served as an “ungraded Elementary school" until 1962. 

Students in grades 1- 8 attended Hopkins school until the mid-1940s. From then on, and until the school was closed in the spring of 1962, the school served grades 1-6 .

In 1965 the property was purchased for $3,500 by Oneka Township from the Forest Lake School District. The structure was used by Oneka Township as their Town Hall until 1972, when Oneka Township was incorporated into the Village of Hugo; forming the City of Hugo. It was then that the City acquired the building. 

The building was briefly used as a youth center and a meeting place for Hugo Boy Scouts. However, the building has remained vacant since the early 2000's. The Hugo City Council recently moved to keep the building, looking into restoration of the structure and a possible Public-private partnership.

A group was formed in early 2022 to try to save the schoolhouse.  Here's a video with more information.