Hugo, MN


Building Permits and Related Information

Effective February 18, 2020 a $2.00 Technology Fee will be added to all permits

Permits are required for all new construction and most remodeling, alteration and repair work in the City of Hugo.  There are some exemptions; however, all City ordinances must be adhered to.  Exempt from the permitting process are the following:

  • One-story detached accessory structures, such a storage sheds and playhouses, that are less than 120 square feet in floor area.
  • Fences less than six feet high.
  • Retaining walls less than four feet high.
  • Swimming Pools less than 5,000 gallon capacity or less than 24 inches in depth.
  • Swings and other playground equipment.


List of available Online Permits:
(Printable permits are available below online permit list)

Please note that electronic payments will incur the following fees:
  • A convenience flat fee of $1.00 applied to checking and savings payments.
  • A convenience fee of 3.00% will be applied to credit card payments.
  • A convenience flat fee of $0.50 is applied for credit card payments below $100.


The "convenience fee" and any "convenience flat fee" will not be returned for any cancelled, refunded, credited, or charged back transactions.

Fees are due at the time a permit is issued. 

Inspections should be scheduled ahead of time to prevent construction delays. To schedule an inspection, please call 651-762-6300.  Typically, inspections should have a 24-hour notice. For Electrical Inspections, please call  (763)754-2983.

Below you will find applications and related information on permits.  For additional information, please contact the Building Department Staff.






Property owners performing their own work, as allowed by the State Building Code, must sign and submit this form with their permit application.


Driveway permits are required by the City.  Additionally, driveway access to all county roads and state highways requires a permit from the agency controlling the road or highway. 


Use the "Construction - Residential Permit" for drain tile work.  Indicate "Drain Tile Work" in the project summary field.


Most residential fences do not require building permits but must follow the ordinance requirements. Click on guide for residential fences.


Septic Permits/Verifications are obtained through the Washington County Public Health and Environment.  They can be reached at (651) 430-6688 or follow this link to the Washington County Website.